Saturday, March 19, 2011

Send Me Footy pt. 15: "The 6th" and The Tale of the Adic Penguins

  Title in reference to the 6th of June, 2005.  Almost six years ago.  Where were you six years ago?  Eric was taildropping into the Velodrome in Redmond (the same one he nosepulled, or dumptrucked, or whatever you call it, into in his part in Balsamic Villagers).  He was also pole jamming before most of the rest of us.  I was nose bonking some pillar at a classic Issaquah spot.  There's a 3 stair and 4 stair there that got plenty of use back in the day.



  The last spot is also in Redmond at a place we came to know as Adic.  This place had a ridiculous amount of office supplies in their parking area, most notably file cabinets and tables.  Whenever it was rainy or too dark to go anywhere else, we would take a trip to Adic and set up something.  One time, whilst exploring the materials at hand, Josh and Eric (I believe) found boxes full of miniature foam penguins, seen here:



  There were at least 300 of these things.  They must have been some sort of strange promotional item gone wrong, seeing as they were just sitting in boxes in the garage.  This is where the name Adic was established, as you can see it was imprinted onto every one of these penguins.  So, after finding them, we did what any sane person would: we took them.  We filled Jake's truck with them, requiring whoever was sitting in the back to wade with these penguins that came up to his waist.  Over the next few days, possibly weeks, we proceeded to rid Jake's truck of these by throwing them at anyone we saw.  Most people would initially yell and curse at us, but upon realizing what we had just thrown, would smile or laugh, or occasionally give a thank you wave.

  Now, these things have become quite endangered.  Everyone who was there or knows of them has kept a select few.  I myself have three gracing my piano. I guess the moral to this story, if there is one, is make memories.  When I think of the times we had back in those days, six years ago, it always brings a smile to my face.  I miss those times, but I know that in another six years, I'll look back at today, and hopefully a smile will come to my face then as well.

Ok, sentimental emotion purge complete.

1 comment: